To enhance engagement with vulnerable communities in Cambodia to improve their quality of life and increase exposure and understanding of Cambodian history and culture among program participants and their communities.
Community in Cambodia
- To increase global awareness and understanding of local community issues in Cambodia
- To educate and train Cambodian youth in transferable skills that generate income
- Provide support services and information on basic healthcare and hygiene to Cambodian families
- Offer opportunities for life-changing and transformative experiences that expand and diversify cultural lenses
- Provide a platform for global service learning opportunities and connect like-minded individuals
- To contribute in building human resources and sustainability of local communities
- Assist in development of the Cambodia YMCA and their programs
What to Expect:
The YMCA Cambodia project is a collaborative project between the Cambodia YMCA, YMCA of Greater Long Beach, Community Development Branch and local and international partners. A Cambodia Journey is a global service learning project that seeks to promote the cultural and historical understanding of Cambodia by providing opportunities that culminate in an immersive two week trip through Cambodia.
A Cambodia Journey is an annual program that is much more than a two week trip to Cambodia. Before leaving to Cambodia, participants will do outreach activities that promote awareness of Cambodian issues, fundraise, learn basic Khmer, and seek to build partnerships in their local communities to support their personal journey.
The total cost of the trip to Cambodia is roughly $3,500. There are many costs associated with organizing an international trip with 25 people. There are transportation fares, meals, lodging costs, insurance for all participants, and sizable donations are made to the Cambodia YMCA Street Children’s Project, Khmer Loves Khmer Association and Little Angel’s Orphanage.
There are staffing costs incurred for the program to take place; It takes time, energy and resources to plan and conduct A Cambodia Journey. Participant costs help cover fees for staff transportation, meals and lodging while on the trip. Non-YMCA staff are also paid a $2,000 stipend for their year-long commitment and time planning, coordinating and staffing the trip.
What your cost covers:
- Round-trip airfare from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) to Phnom Penh International Airport (PNH).
- All meals in Cambodia including during the Team Building Trainings that take place in Long Beach, CA (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner). Meals are not covered if you decide to go out on your own from the group during scheduled meals.
- All hotel costs for the duration of the trip and in Long Beach, CA during Team Building Trainings.
- Transportation to all scheduled activities while in Cambodia.
- Visa entrance fees into Cambodia.
- Travel Insurance for the duration of scheduled activities in Cambodia.
- Donation to the Cambodia YMCA Street Children’s Project, Khmer Loves Khmer Association and Little Angel’s Orphanage.
Day 1: Welcome to Long Beach
Day 2: Orientation & Team-Building
Day 3: Sightseeing & Departure
Day 4: Arrival*
Day 5: Amazing Race Cambodia
Day 6: Water Park*
Day 7: Visit Tuol Sleng Prison
Day 8: Street Children’s Project*
Day 9: Sihanouk Ville
Day 10: Street Children Retreat (Beach)
Day 11: Phnom Penh Cultural Tour/Art/Religion/History
Day 12: Visit Angkor Wat (Siem Reap)
Day 13: Phnom Kulen
Day 14: Angkor Archaeological Park
Day 15: Departure
*These activities will involve interacting with the kids.
**Itinerary is tentative and is subject to change.