“WE DID IT!”
“I wanted to share what we were able to accomplish over the weekend with less than 2 weeks of planning. We started a new initiative called “Clean Cambodia” having 3 main goals/objectives:
1. To increase understanding about hygiene and the harmful effects of trash
2. To promote a clean environment and a proper place for trash
3. To find a sustainable solution and system for trash in these vulnerable neighborhoods.
Not only did we get the community involved, but we were able to secure a SUSTAINABLE solution. Prior to this event, CINTRI, the garbage truck company never came to this location in the slums of Phnom Penh. However, last Saturday was their FIRST time coming. They had 5 staff come and help clean up as well. Because of this, I was able to get CINTRI to commit to come once a week. This is awesome news!
I share this with you because this initiative was started because a friend mentioned that she wanted to do this type of project. It led to me gathering my friends to be team leaders and strategize how we were going to achieve what some would call an impossible task. I hope others who see this will see that all it takes is just one person and one follower to get the ball rolling.
I also want to give thanks to all of the partners/sponsors/volunteers/children/families involved in making this happen!
Thank you to the following people:
– Narence Hangchan, Peter Phoeng, Eunna Silver Jang, Chanda Hun, KiHow Tran, Che Sehyun, Chantha Kong, Galeno Chua, Anthony Gaglardi for being a part of the planning team
– Howard at Sokafe for donating 160 sandwiches to the hardworking volunteers
– The team at The Idea for their expert event planning skills and finding a sustainable solution through their contact at CINTRI
– The team at Mito Hotel មិត្តតូ for the clean up supplies, drinks and their endless help since day 1!
– Angkor Pearl Hotel and Peter Phoeng Photography for 150 kromas and photography services
– Nom Desserts (cafe) for the iced tea
– USA Donut for donuts!
– Vireak Khloth Chea at Western Pharmacy for first aid/medical supplies
– Arc Hub PNH for their flawless design skills and on the ground leadership
– Hope Now Cambodia for their sponsorship
– Rob K Sok for donating hundreds of livesavers
– Kim Sreypov, Hanna Ek, Bunthok Deth of Cambodia YMCA for their leadership and commitment to the community
– Immanuel Restoration Ministries for sponsorship
– WaterAid America for Labobo Watershed devices (http://www.watershedasia.org/tag/labobo/)
– Toul Les Jour for donating pastries and cake EVERYDAY to my kids at the YMCA
– Mr. Suy Huor and his 15 staff at HCC Group Co., LTD (EnviroCam) for donating clean up supplies and volunteering to help
– bong Kheng Navanny for donating over 10 cases of water.
– Pu Vuthy of Cintri for him and his staff’s involvement on clean up day and staying committed to having the garbage truck come once a month”